Sunday, June 22, 2008

Don't Make Me Say It

After April 8th, 1974 Al Downing said when he was asked what time it was he always had to say quarter after 7. He could never bring himself to say 7:15.

With that same psychosis, though for slightly different reasons, there are things I can never utter again, sometimes it is pure hatred – other times it is for what might have been.

I can no longer say the gates open three hours prior to the game.

When my children look out our backdoor and see some birds fighting, I will no longer tell them the birds are mad ducks.

I only refer to my dinner off the grill as hot dogs, never as franks, even if we’re having beans on the side.

I’m not happy to tell someone that I’m just so-so. I would rather say fair to middlin’ or comme ci, comme ca.

I don’t want to see who my daughter’s suitor is going to be. Probably some dude from St. Louis anyway.

I no longer will reference Mike Singletary’s alma mater of Baylor University.

I can no longer recite the nursery rhyme to Cooper about the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.

I will no longer offer to perform the Heim(s)lich maneuver on anyone.

I will no longer suggest that someone is a chip off the old block.

I will not mutter to myself, “Ah, Lou, what were you thinking?”

I cannot help my girls put barrettes in their hair.

Our society has pretty much outlawed the word lynch (unless you’re a dumbass golf reporter), but I have outlawed it for additional reasons.

And I will simply never utter the words LaTroy, Rojas or Neifi ever again.

CFCL Notes: Kid Dynamite heads off to Vegas. Let’s hope he comes home with a few WSOP bracelets and the stack of money from the Main Event.

You’ve got to admire a team flopping between 10th and 11th looking to make trades to make a run for the money THIS YEAR! The Copperfields are a class organization through and through.

It may not matter now, however, with the Bulls/Clowns deal. Ugh . . . decide for yourself.

Non-CFCL Notes: Note to Jim Hendry. Please do not think that Jim Edmonds is a long term fix in centerfield. This is Gary Gaetti all over again. It’s easier to perform well in the warm weather in front of a rocking house of 42,000 rabid fans.

1 comment:

David Mahlan said...

Very clever concept. I had no idea where you were going with it the first time I read it, but after going through it again I think I got them all.

Also thanks for the "classy organization" kudos. Not sure it's entirely deserved - at least for the reasons you mentioned.

As I've told all the teams I've discussed trade with this year, I don't know which way to go - there a long way for me to climb up to the money spots, but points and categories are so close it's not tough to visualize scenarios where it can happen.

Regardless, I won't accept what I feel to be a subpar package just because I have guys who "should" be traded. If that makes the Copperfields "classy", so be it.

Finally, I completely agree with your Edmonds comment; right down to the comparison with Gaetti.