Sunday, September 21, 2008

Who Do You Want?

The deed is done. For the first time since 1907 the Cubs are in the post-season in consecutive seasons. Now we (Cub fans) await the final week of the campaign to see against whom we will start the playoff chase.

The Monroe Doctrine has never been afraid to put the cart before the horse - in fact we relish it, so let’s assume that our Dearly Be-Cubbed make short work of Philly, the Dodgers, the Metropolitans and/or the Brewers. The big question we have to ask is not “Who will we be facing in the World Series?”, rather “Who do we WANT to be facing in the World Series?”

Our choices are the Rays, Red Sox, Angels and most likely the White Sox. Let me preface the following that I know, I know, I know it’s going to sound like a man who hasn’t eaten in a year complaining that his lobster doesn’t have enough butter sauce. I get that, but I also want to make sure that if the ultimate does happen, it is viewed by historians and rivals alike as a well-earned victory.

So, because of that, I would most certainly hope that the Rays get knocked off the in AL playoffs. As fun of a story as they are this year and even though they have an amazing young, talented nucleus, I wouldn’t want the Cubs first World Series title in 100 years to be against a team that finished over .500 for the first time in their history.

The Red Sox are pretty beat up and are Mannyless. Considering that they have won two titles in the last four years, beating them would certainly be an accomplishment, but you just know that someone out there (and everyone in Boston) would happily say “Yeah, you beat us this year when we were injured. You wouldn’t have touched us if we were healthy like 2004 and 2008.” So I hope the Red Sox get eliminated as well.

The Angels are sporting the league’s best record by a game and a half and are considered the most balanced and deepest team that will reach the playoffs. So certainly beating the Angels would be saying something. They won the Series in 2002 and have a terrific owner in Artie Moreno, but every time I hear the name Angels, I think of the Angels of my childhood. The team that struggled to finish over .500 with guys like Dave Chalk, an aged Joe Rudi and heat throwing Tannana and Ryan. I would have to remind myself that these are not my childhood Angels, these are my son’s Angels.

So that leaves us with the White Sox. This year’s Sox are not as menacing as the 2005 group. However revenge lets us look past that. Once the Sox won in 2005, more than a few Sox fans pointed out to me that the Cubs would eventually win one too. My response was “Yeah, but thanks to the Sox we’ll have finally conquered Mount Everest only to find your empty Coke cans.” So we could enjoy our greatest winter ever by downing the Sox. Of course, this also opens the door for our greatest disappointment of losing to the Sox. But I just checked, the cart is still firmly ahead of the horse, so let’s get ready to pop the bubbly and put those White Sox fans back in their place. I mean, all they had to do in 2005 was beat the Astros who needed the Wild Card to reach the playoffs.

NON CFCL NOTES - I’ve never been a Yankee fan. In fact have hated them since I’m followed baseball (although I am forever in love with Lou Gehrig, not unlike Teresa Wright). But I have to say that the pre-game tribute to Yankee Stadium before Sunday night’s game while predictable was awe inspiring. Seeing the legends run out to their positions was pretty cool. And while Tino Martinez will never make the Hall of Fame, it’s amazing to see and hear the fans cheer for him louder than any other former Yankee.

No comments: