Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Will We Really "Wait For Next Year?"

And so we enter into another horrendously disappointing off-season. After watching the so called Professional Northside Squad look dead for a second straight post-season, all my Cub shirts and jerseys have been buried at the bottom of my chest of drawers, the Cubs flag has been removed from our front porch and I found myself weighing the good and bad.

Bad:
I had to
Ø Watch Soriano and Ramirez show no heart.
Ø Watch Lou fall in love with Fukudome for two games after benching him for two months
Ø Get my hopes up only to be kicked in the pills for a second straight year
Ø Watch the Cubs clinch and say “we learned from last year. We’re on a mission.”
Ø Watch the Cubs clear out their lockers four days later saying “We just didn’t get it done.”
Ø Wonder what really happened to Derrek Lee’s power
Ø Watch Rebel (Harden) face Rebel (Kuroda) knowing full well which Rebel would win out

Good:
Now I’ll have time to
Ø Finish those home projects I started last spring
Ø Get my filing done
Ø Meet with clients in the evenings during October
Ø Start my yoga training
Ø Work on my penmanship
Ø Reacquaint myself with the names of my children and see if they’ve started school yet

I suppose the inherent quality of a Cubs fan is resiliency and to return year after year in the hope that this finally will be the season. But the reality of it is, if the ultimate prize is a World Series title, is it worth investing your heart in the regular season so that you are subjected to a worthless display of baseball in October?

No comments: