Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fourth-coming Disappointment

As we celebrate the accomplishments of our forefathers and at least three of our mothers, I’m reminded about how confusing the 4th of July holiday is. It has always provided me with a sense of sadness because I’ve taken to heart that the 4th represents the “Unofficial Middle of Summer”. I’m saddened to think that we’re halfway through and are now closer to the colder weather. The reality is that summer is only 11 days old according to meteorological tables. My mindset probably has a lot to do with my children’s school schedule, since next month they are back at it.

Baseball has always been more accurate. This year at the close of games on the 4th, teams will be anywhere from 81 to 84 games into the season, basically one half; as a Cub fan the end can’t come fast enough. Since baseball is synonymous with Apple Pie, Mom, America and summer, it does bring a sense of being closer to the end of the season than the beginning.

Couple that with the fact that as of June 23rd (26th anniversary of the Sandberg Game) the days are getting shorter - you can almost hear the leaves getting ready to fall. Weed the garden? What’s the point? The first overnight frost is only weeks away.

Time to go to the beach? Forget the sunscreen, it’s time to check the wind chill factor. I don’t have time to cut the watermelon, I’ve got to place an order for the turkey and stuffing. Take the kids to their swimming lessons? Please, I’ve got to sharpen their ice skates.

With only 174 shopping days left until Christmas the stress of scheduling family get-togethers is breathing down our necks. It’s time to make our New Year’s Eve reservations as well.

Getting lost in all my whining is the fact that we are supposed to be celebrating that the founders of this nation suffered through 100+ degree temperatures to forge out a document declaring our independence from Britain. They believed in their freedom enough to put their lives on the line and fight for what they wanted. They succeeded and provided a way of life generations since have enjoyed and today take for granted.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go find the Christmas Tree.

No comments: