Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Q Is For Quality

Hey! Look at that! I was right! Can I say that again (it doesn’t happen often.) I was right! The Cubs selected Mike Quade (Monroe Doctrine, “Who Will Bring the Scorecard to Home plate?”, September 20). OK, so maybe I didn’t predict it in as much as I said he was my dark horse favorite. Still I think the Cubs made the right decision.

Considering they are not going out on the free agent market to nail down a front-line starter, first baseman or outfielder, the Cubs needed someone that could work with the youngsters (Castro, Colvin, Cashner, etc). Both Sandberg and Quade had worked with these guys in the minor leagues so it’s obvious they would be the favorites. Eric Wedge worked with young ballplayers in Cleveland and was successful, but Quade and Ryno had worked with THESE guys.

When I first heard ESPN1000 break the news I had mixed feelings. I was happy that Quade was named (certainly over Melvin) but had some residual sadness that Sandberg wasn’t. After further reflection it wasn’t because I wanted Sandberg to manage the Cubs right now, it’s because by not being named means he’s most likely leaving the organization.

At some point I would love Sandberg to be the Cubs manager, but not now. The idiot arguments I’ve seen posted on Cubs.com is that Sandberg should be named because he’s a Hall of Famer and he’s managed in the minors. How did the Hall of Fame credentials work out for Ted Williams? Being a HOFer doesn’t necessarily help. In fact it can hurt. I would imagine most, if not all, HOFers have natural ability and talent. When you have natural ability it’s often difficult to teach someone that ability. Since it comes naturally to the HOFer, most likely what they want to say is “just do it”. Or, “I can’t explain it, here watch.” Someone like Quade (or LaRussa, or Lasorda or Francona) weren’t great players, but they understood the game and knew how to work hard to get the most from their ability.

When I think of Sandberg I keep thinking of two guys, and maybe that’s my hang-up. I think of the guy out at second base that could turn the double play flawlessly and be reluctant to give a post-game interview. And then I think of the guy who went to the minors to do what he was asked, changed his persona, started communicating and even had a penchant for getting thrown out of games. I’m sure Sandberg has a good baseball mind, but I just get the feeling that he had his eye on the seat in the corner of the third base dugout at Clark and Addison and said “How do I get there?”

Somehow four years was determined as the magical number and he felt he knew all he needed to know to be qualified for the job.

From what I’ve heard listening to Quade and others talk about him, he isn’t afraid to make changes and hold players, young and old, accountable for their actions. What? A Cubs manager holding players accountable? Has there ever been such a thing?

I cannot wait for Opening Day 2011. I know the Cubs and Quade will struggle from time to time, maybe a lot depending on the roster. But I think we finally have a guy in charge that focuses on the basics and will demand what he expects from his players.

With all the great attributes Quade brings to the job he also gives us a hell of a trivia question. When was the last time a city had two major sports franchises managed/coached by guys whose last name starts with “Q”?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another exellent Doctrine! I share your feelings about Quade, as well as those mixed ones about Sandberg. While my feelings about him as a player are well-known (as good as he was, he was never worth anywhere near the .49 I paid for him in the CFCL), I was mostly hoping he wouldn't get the managerial job. It would have been tough to justify giving him the job strictly on the basis of track record because there's not a lot there yet, so it would have essentially been doing it based on his status as a player/Cub legend.

Like you, I'd probably like to see Sandberg someday manage the Cubs, but certainly not until he's put in some time coaching at the major league level.

I heard today that the Diamondbacks have hired away Alan Trammell as a bench coach. Maybe that opens up a spot for Ryno on Quade's staff, if he'd be willing to accept it. I've also hear that Ozzie Guillen would take him on the south side if Joey Cora goes elsewhere - though that may just be Ozzie trying to piss Cub fans off (it worked...).

Rich Bentel said...

David - Glad you enjoyed it!

I heard a report (probably after you posted your note) that Sandberg was not going to be on the bench or anywhere on Quade's staff - not sure if he was offered and refused or Quade/Hendry decided not to offer. He (Sandberg) was going to be offered the Triple A job again.