Tuesday, January 21, 2020

When Was The Last Time

Darius Rucker has recorded many brilliant songs since he went solo from Hootie and the Blowfish.  He went down the country music path and has just lit . . . it . . . up.  One song he recorded was "When Was The Last Time".  The title is a fun play on words because the chorus goes "when was the last time you did something for the first time?", reminding  us all that it's good to take chances, expand our horizons, get outside of our comfort zone.  None of which I'm good at, but I do love the song.

One day as I was listening to the song, it got me thinking.  Reversing the question in a way, "When was the last time you did something for the LAST time?"  (Or, I suppose, "When was the FIRST time you did something for the LAST time?"  It basically means the same thing, doesn't it?)

There are occasions in our life when we absolutely know we won't be doing something again.  You resign or retire from work, you know you won't be walking to your desk in that office any more.  If you're a professional athlete and you retire, you know when the last time you will face a pitcher or throw a football (assuming you are able to retire on your own terms).  I would imagine it's a rare occurrence when you know something is happening for the last time as it's happening.

But all of us will have, and have had, experiences for the last time - didn't know it at the time and may not even know it yet.  If you are of a certain age you have probably played on a playground jungle gym for the last time.  Do you know when that was?  Flew on an airplane?  Ate Chinese food?  Saw the ocean?  Kissed your soulmate?  Attended a New Year's Eve Party?

Most of us don't know, didn't know when it happened.  I think there are several reasons for that.

One is I think humans, by nature, are always optimistic.  "Oh I'll do that again." or "We'll have to do this again next year." are common thoughts or comments.  We always believe there will be another opportunity.  Some of it could be a sense of assumption or entitlement that we can have and do what we want, when we want.  Sure.  But unless you are given a diagnosis where you absolutely know there will not be a next time, I think we all believe there will always be a next time.

Additionally, there are so many things going on in our lives, personally, professionally, recreationally, that it's almost impossible to keep track of everything we've done and the last time it occurred.  The last time I cradled my child?  I don't know.  I see them all the time and they're grown, so I've hugged them, but cradled them in my arms?  Years ago and I don't know when was the last time.  Last time I shot a basketball?  Haven't been on a court in years.  Certain body parts are a little more achy than years ago.  I'd like to think it may happen again, but it's been a few years since I took any of my children to a basketball court and played "H-O-R-S-E".

The purpose of this post wasn't necessarily to make you wrack your brain to remember the last time you did some normal routine thing, though that can be an interesting exercise.  But maybe the point was to remind us all that things change, it's important to recognize and appreciate what you're doing in the moment and realize that at some point it won't happen any longer.


No comments: