Monday, August 4, 2008

A Confession

It wasn’t supposed to go this far. It had been years since I’d seen her. Once you get married you’re not supposed to hang with your old girlfriends, and I haven’t – until this week. She looked good, a little older, and the rumors were true that she had a facelift. But can I judge? I had lost more hair and gained forty pounds since the last time we sat holding hands all afternoon. Her complexion was a little more ruddy than I remember, but she still had that natural beauty, hardly any makeup. And considering the years that had passed, she was in remarkable shape. She always looked good, turned the head of anyone that would pass her. But seeing her again made me realize that it is possible to become more attractive the older you get. And still she could turn the heads. The whole time we were together, everyone we saw was looking at her, not me (not that that is surprising).

Before we got married, Kim even agreed to a threesome a couple of times. How many of you can say that? Check it, I don’t want to know. (And Grage – it’s not a threesome just because you use two hands.) But after we got married and the kids started coming, those opportunities ended.

I felt guilty approaching her after all these years, wanting to rekindle what we had. Would she be resentful? Jealous? Indignant that a married man would want to start something again? To my amazement, she was welcoming. Never questioned why I hadn’t tried to stay in touch. We just fell right back to the ebb and flow; the energy we had when we were younger. At times we were slightly loud and raucous. At other moments we were quiet, just taking in the moments we had together.

As we spent the evening together, it all came back to me; the intimate places of her that made our relationship so special. And she knew just how to push my buttons; the magic I felt just being in her presence.

When it was time to part, she didn’t complain. Didn’t beg for me to stay. She understood. A lump grew in my throat and I secretly hoped that we could sneak away together again soon. Wrigley never looked and felt so good.

No comments: