Monday, September 24, 2007

Who's More Lovable?

The world believes that the Cubs are loveable. Usually the word “losers” follows loveable. My mind started to wander to a comparison of 2003 and 2007. Is one more “lovable” than the other? When I think back to my innocence, 1984’s team is much more “lovable” than 1989. Could be that ’84 was the first time the Cubs made the playoffs since 1945, could be they were only, what, three innings away from the World Series.

So below I have a position by position comparison of 2003 and 2007. The criteria for who “wins” isn’t necessarily who put up the best stats. It’s who you (I guess I mean “I”) really enjoyed, could be because of production, could be because he played the game right, could be because he just had “it”, that indescribable quality that made me glad he was a Cub.

Alfonso Soriano vs. Moises Alou This one’s tough. I really liked Alou. Loved his 22 homeruns and 91 ribbies. But then he goes down the leftfield line in October for a lazy foul flyball. Doesn’t catch it so he stamps his foot like my 10 year old and throws a girlie-fit. Soriano has had a couple of good games with clutch hits, but hasn’t given me the warm fuzzies for any particular reason. This one goes to Alou for everything until the 8th inning of game 6.

Jacque Jones vs. Corey Patterson Jones has been maligned and has come back to have a solid year when most guys would pout for the way the fans have treated him and for being on the bench for the beginning part of the season. Patterson was on the come and hadn’t yet become the Corey Patterson we all cringe about. I tell you, for the way Jones has handled himself this year, I give him the edge.

Cliff Floyd vs. Sammy Sosa I’m not even going to be objective. Floyd has dealt with a father who passed away and injuries. Sosa is a moron. I’m sure I enjoyed the homeruns and the hop, but it never really grew on me. Floyd is much more enjoyable and lovable.

Aramis Ramirez vs. Aramis Ramirez Ramirez from ’03 was more lovable. He had just come over, put up solid numbers and was a pleasant change from Bellhorn, Harris, Martinez & Co. Ramirez in ’07 likes to Cadillac his way around the bases and seems to swing at every damn outside pitch that he makes Shawon Dunston look like a patient man. ’03 Ramirez in a rout.

Ryan Theriot vs. Alex Gonzalez I was a big, big Gonzalez fan. Loved him all year long, but c’mon Alex, one damn groundball!!! What is so f***ing hard about that? Theriot is the sparkplug we haven’t had since Bob Dernier. The guy that didn’t have a position when the season started and just played ball all year so that Pinella had to give him the job. How can you not love that? Theriot wins.

Mark DeRosa vs. Mark Grudzielanek I don’t have strong feelings here. Always liked Grud, even before becoming a Cub; but this is about the impression of a ballplayer for the ’03 or ’07 team. I don’t have any excessively great or bad feelings toward Grud, while DeRosa has had a lot of clutch hits so I will give this one to DeRosa and point to my weakened long-term memory. Correction, DeRosa wins in a landslide due to his 5 for 5 game and game winning hit against the Reds on Monday night.

Derrek Lee vs. Erik Karros Isn’t this ironic? Lee was a big reason the Cubs didn’t make it to New York in ’03 and here he is on our side in ’07. I’m not biased here, Lee is awesome. While the power numbers haven’t been there, he is a leader, plays amazing defense and is impossible not to love. Karros was cool and perhaps did the classiest thing any Cub has ever done by taking out a full page ad after the ’03 season, thanking the fans for the opportunity and support. If he was up against anyone but Lee, he’d have my vote.

Michael Barrett vs. Damian Miller Wow, even less interest here than at secondbase. Barrett’s stock keeps dropping with each passing day and he’s not even a Cub any more. Miller wins by default. [Side note – I am basing this all on who played the position most during the year. As we go to press, Barrett still has more ABs than Kendall and Soto may end up being the fan favorite before the year is out.]

Carlos Zambrano & Ted Lilly vs. Mark Prior & Kerry Wood Prior and Wood were the Golden Children. They were supposed to bring us many World Series appearances, and in ’03 it looked like the beginning of great things. Zambrano (also there in ’03 but fourth in the rotation behind the Boys and Clement) is hard to love for his antics. Lilly has been solid and really the ace of ’07. But his name describes his persona; lily white, nothing to latch on to. Wood and Prior win going away.

Bobby Howry, Carlos Marmol, Ryan Dempster vs. Mike Remlinger, Kyle Farnsworth, Joe Borowski People seem to have issues with Howry, though I’ve enjoyed his presence. Marmol has been just a wonderful surprise and Dempster is, well, this year’s Borowski. About the only thing memorable or lovable about the ’03 three is when Farnsworth planted Paul Wilson with the best tackle this city has seen since Singletary retired. I’ll go with Howry, Marmol and Dempster.

Mike Fontenot vs. Randall Simon Having plucked Fontenot from the FA pool and watching him get big hits early in the season might give him an edge, but Simon was The Man when he came over from Pittsburgh. Seems like every time the Cubs needed a double, homerun or simple base hit, Simon was there to deliver. Simon gets the nod here.

Lou Pinella vs. Dusty Baker Neither one captivates me the way Zimmer and Frey did. I will have to admit that Baker seemed to have the magic until he mismanaged the bullpen against Florida. Baker seems to have the edge unless Lou somehow gets the Cubs to be the team that ends the season with a win. If that happens, he’s a god!

I noticed a trend in my mind. I had to keep putting myself back in “2003 Mode”. After ’03 I have come to hate Baker, Alou, Prior and Sosa. But during that year I loved Alou and Prior, didn’t mind Baker so much and probably tolerated Sosa more than I would care to admit. Comments and analysis are welcome on the CFCL Forum.

No comments: